Wednesday, March 6, 2013

soup, soul-warming soup

I love soup, and I was craving it all day yesterday. So in spite of the rain and the cold and the fact that it was already very late when I got home with many bags of produce, I made soup until 10pm.

carrot leek celery soup with ayurverdic spices and popped seeds

So nourishing, especially with a drop of ghee (clarified butter) mixed in. The seeds I used were cumin and mustard - popped in a pan with hot oil to wake up the flavors. I also added cumin and turmeric powder, along with salt and black pepper. I also put in fresh ginger and garlic when I boiled the carrots, leeks and celery before blending them. I used chicken broth, but I don't think I really needed to, as there are already so many flavors in all the ingredients. Plus, I noticed afterwards that boxed chicken broth contains sugar (!) and "natural flavors" so in the future I'll be making my own.

No comments: